5.07.2007

week.one - friday the 13th

For everyone that doesn’t know me my name is Melissa. I am THE typical case of a person that likes to work hard but play harder and today I signed up for the Chicago marathon; that’s 26.2 miles. I am sure you are wondering why a person like myself would wake up one day and decide to run 26.2 miles well, let me tell you.

I have heard the experience is “life changing” and that sounds really good right now. Currently I am in a point in my life where things are o.k. I have a good job, great people in my life, roof over my head and most importantly I have my health but I don’t have any clear goals right now. I don’t know what I want to do with my life and each day that goes by is another day wasted!! Signing up for this gives me a goal and for the first time in a long time I am excited about doing something and that feels amazing.

Another reason why I am doing this is because of Camella. Say hello to my alter ego. She loves to drink and have a great ol time. She’s been partying like it‘s 1999 since 1995 and its catching up with me. Years of unhealthy living and I don't have anything to show for it. I am also overweight. It’s been a battle for me as long as I can remember. I have been on every diet you can think of and even though I am somewhat happy at the weight I am at now I would still like to lose another 15lbs. I have always wondered if I could run a marathon. It’s been a very faint voice in the back of my head but the voice quickly fades usually. Not this time though, it stuck. I think I am supposed to run it right now, this moment, this year. I can feel it.

I work with an amazing creative director (David Lam) who is directing/filming a documentary called "Athlete". (Please check it out
www.athletemovie.com) The film is about endurance sports and the individuals who are redefining what it means to be an “athlete”. The film features ordinary people who balance their family, work and life with an amazing commitment to achieving their goals. So for the past 6 months or so I would ask David every week who he was filming. One of the athletes is a cancer survivor; another is blind, and many others. I started to become really inspired by these people and I didn’t even know them! So with a little persuasion I decided to sign up.

To answer your second question....Why am I flying to Chicago to run 26.2 miles vs. running the New York Marathon which runs close to my apartment in Brooklyn? Well it’s because Chicago is pretty flat. No hills no bridges so it’s perfect for any first time marathon runner. To be honest I am more scared than anything. Scared because I am not educated on marathons or even running for that matter. I was on a soccer team in high school but to be completely honest I have NEVER, and I mean never ran outside a day in my life. The odds are already against me. My ego has a great time at putting me down because all I can hear in my head are negative comments like" you’re not strong enough, fast enough, you drink too much, smoke too much, you won't be able to do it, what are you thinking" but I am determined. If there is one thing that I love about myself is that once I set my mind to something, I don't back down. I do think the only thing that will get me through this IS my mind so I need to start believing in myself I can do this.

So please comment, give me any feedback, inspiration and tips because I am going to need all the help I can get. I will be looking for your support over the next 5+ months and also keeping you up to date on the struggles and achievements along the way. I hope you enjoy my marathonmind.flow. my journey, my mind flow to my first marathon.

Nothing Ventured. Nothing Gained.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have already succeeded. You're trying. The failure would be to not try. You're blog said you smoke to much-what are you smoking my little niece? quit it. Just keep going, even when you don't want to-keep going. Don't worry about how you do it, just do it. I love you and I love your sticktoitness. You go.

Love Auntie DD

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Lis! This is a big goal for you and will be a great accomplishment! I am here for you, supporting you every step of the way and will be there at the last step when you cross that finish line! I am sooooo proud of you and wish you the best of luck!! Love ya, Erika

Anonymous said...

Go Melissa!!!
I am so proud of you! I can't wait to tell everyone I know that my cousin is running in the Chicago marathon. I can't wait to hear more!
Love you
Christin

Anonymous said...

Hey Melissa!
Really fabulous blog and exciting news about the marathon. I know you'll do great. I had to chuckle at your 'Chub Rub' blog. I started my bicycling adventures in knit shorts. After a few weeks, I had such huge sores that I'd start each ride by tapping my legs with bandages. Suddenly, I realized those goofy people in bike shorts looked stylish next to me with my knit shorts and bandages. It may look silly, but spandex rules!
~Patty

Please Support the Cause said...

thanks for the luv everyone! I won't let you down and if any of you want to be there as I cross the finish line let me know, I am bringing a posse, having t-shirts made etc...plus we are going to party afterward!!!! xxoo

Anonymous said...

I'm stoked for you Liss!!! I've been thinking a lot lately about my lack of clear goals, and this is really inspiring. Love you and I can't wait to see you cross the finish line! I'm supposed to find out about that job on Friday, but I think I'm just going to say f it and go either way because I want to be there for you.

Love you!!!!
Jill